For all things Peter!

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Peter talks Twilight, Nurse Jackie, Loosies, Mike Dexter, Fastlane to NYPost


Peter's interview with @NewYorkPost  / PopWrap

PopWrap: When you found out that Coop's moms were splitting up, what did you think?
Peter Facinelli: As an actor, I thought it was pretty genius. As Coop, I found it devastating [laughs]. Any time his moms are on the show, I just have so much fun, so I was glad they brought them back, but it’s such a blow for Coop. It sends him into a tailspin. His moms are his world so Coop starts to scramble when that shatters and goes into this funk for a while.
PW: I loved everyone's reaction to the news -- "aaand there goes the chin." 
Peter: Yea, in typical Coop fashion he’s a 12-year-old trapped in a man’s body, so obviously he doesn’t handle this news well.
PW: It doesn't really seem like Coop is having a good run in "Nurse Jackie"-land lately.
Peter: Well, last season was fun because we built Coop up and then clipped his wings. This season it happens again, but to a larger degree with his world crumbling around him. What’s great is seeing him totally unaware as to why these things are happening to him, Coop thinks he’s a good guy, so when you put the character in situations like that, it’s great seeing how he reacts. For me, it was a chance to see another side of Coop because he’s so happy go lucky all the time. To play him in a funk and be depressed, was kind of depressing for me as an actor.
PW: Right, I'd imagine doing episodic television really allows a character's feelings to permeate your own.
Peter: For sure. There is a resonance there. I remember shooting these next few episodes feeling totally blue because you’re walking around living that – it sticks with you. This season was kind of depressing for me.
PW: What was exciting about it for you?
Peter: It’s fun when I get to work with the ensemble. I got to share some scenes with Stephen [Wallem, who plays Thor] and also Eve [Best, who plays Dr. O’Hara]. I don’t really get to do much with them, so I loved that about this season. There have also been a few times almost all the characters are in the same room at the same time finding out the same information – you get to watch them dealing with it in their own world.
PW: Right, like meeting Jackie's husband.
Peter: Precisely. For Coop, that was kind of an enlightenment moment because he now "knows" why Jackie rejected him. Finally an explanation that makes total sense. It’s like he was let off the hook.
PW: The show has never been better so I kind of feel like a fourth season is a foregone conclusion -- what would you like to see for him next year?
Peter: I’ve been wanting Coop to grow a mustache for three seasons – I’m hoping we can get that in season four. He’s such a man-boy. This season is kind of about him trying to grow up in all the wrong ways, so to start off season four with a mustache would be pretty funny.
PW: I don't know if I've ever seen you, Peter Facinelli, with one -- is it a good look?
Peter: I don’t know, I’ve never grown one either – that’s part of the appeal [laughs].
PW: You also have "Loosies," a movie you wrote/directed/starred, coming up -- is it the biggest passion project of your career?
Peter: Blood, sweat, tears and then some. I wrote it in three weeks, but it’s taken me six years to get it made. I’m quite happy with the cut and it’s a score to get Paul McDonald on the soundtrack. As an actor, you come in do your part and hope that it’s put together right. But when you’re producing something you’re written, you get to follow it all the way through, I liked having that kind of say. I’m quite proud of it, I hope people like it.

PW: It's got to be more anxiety producing though given how invested you are in it.
Peter: It’s definitely more anxiety producing than just starring, but as much energy as I put into it, I get so much more out of it. There is an anxiety of, “I hope people like it” but I’m proud of it and that’s kind of all I can hope for.
PW: With "Nurse Jackie" and the "Twilight" films raising your profile are you finding that the fanbase is changing as well?
Peter: What’s fun for me is that fans are now going back and discovering my older work. To see the different things I’ve done. It’s opened up the door for them to enjoy the eclectic performances I’ve put together over the years.
PW: So, Mike Dexter lives on?
Peter: [laughs] He definitely lives on. Actually I was at the supermarket and some guy came up to me and said, “you’re in movies, right? What movie are you in?” I said,” Um, ‘Twilight?’” and he goes, “No … ‘Can’t Hardly Wait!’ You’re Mike Dexter!” [laughs] I loved that. So Mike definitely lives on and it’s such a compliment to have done a character 12 years ago that’s still etched in people’s minds. To me that means I did a good job.
PW: Would you like the chance to go back and revisit a character you've previously played to bring the second part of their story to life?
Peter: I feel like everything I’ve done has been complete. Well, “Fastlane” went out on a cliffhanger, that was a really fun character for me. I always thought it would be cool to do a movie. Everything else has been pretty complete. Well ... there is 300 years of history to Carlisle Cullen before he even started this family. There’s a lot to that character, it could be fun to explore that.

To read the full interview and see more pics click here

No comments:

Post a Comment